Friday, February 17, 2012

PyCon Number Six

Its always fun again

I've been attending PyCon US every year since 2007. So the 2012 edition marks number six. I've taught two tutorials at every PyCon and will do so this year, which brings the total count to twelve tutorials. Even though the conference is fully sold out, you can still go for the tutorials.

Tutorials

My tutorial Faster Python Programs through Optimization on Wednesday, March 7, 2012 is the first in a series of four (see Tutorials III) that are concerned with making your Python programs faster. This is nice. I always had the feeling that three hours are not enough to cover this topic in enough detail. I've given this tutorial numerous times at PyCon US, OSCON and PyCon AsiaPacific as well as an one-day open course, always improving and updating my material. The room was always well filled with up to 50 or even 70 people. This year PyCon is much bigger than ever before and there will be significantly more people in my tutorial as well.
My second tutorial Plotting with matplotlib on Thursday, March 8, 2012 gives an introduction to the powerful matplotlib library. I teach this topic as part of my course Python for Scientists and Engineers and gave this tutorial twice at EuroSciPy in 2010 and 2011. Scientists just love matplolib but it can be useful for anybody who wants to generate good looking diagrams with just a few lines of Python.

Talk

This year I will be even more busy: I will give a talk about HDF5 with Python. HDF5 is the preferred way for many scientists to store large amounts of (numerical) data. But it can be interesting for other programmers too. Tons of data and no need for the relational part? You might want to have a look.

Sponsoring

Another premiere this year. We are PyCon sponsor with our logo on the website, a tote bag insert and even a booth. So if you are interested in talking to me, just stop by at booth 322.

6 comments: